SMANA’s Membership Promise
- We connect practitioners, academics, and students within the North American social marketing arena.
- We aim to build a stronger legacy and community of practice and to disseminate best practices across broad geographic and topical areas.
- We provide assurance that our social marketing efforts are scientifically rigorous and informed by practice to better position social marketing as a viable intervention framework.
- We facilitate opportunities for organizations, agencies, and other stakeholders to take advantage of our membership expertise in behavior change strategies.
- We advocate for the advancement and use of social marketing.
What is social marketing?
Social marketing integrates commercial marketing concepts with other approaches to influence positive behavior change for individuals and communities for greater social good. It’s getting you to brush your teeth, rather than getting you to buy the toothbrush. This differs from social media in that social media are the online communication channels such as Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. A social marketer may use these in an intervention but has other tools available to change behavior also.
Check out how industry leaders defined social marketing through a consensus definition building process:
“Social Marketing seeks to develop and integrate marketing concepts with other approaches to influence behaviors that benefit individuals and communities for the greater social good.
Social Marketing practice is guided by ethical principles. It seeks to integrate research, best practice, theory, audience and partnership insight, to inform the delivery of competition sensitive and segmented social change programs that are effective, efficient, equitable and sustainable.”
Watch these short videos to learn more!
Learn more about SMANA’s work
One-year Strategic Plan written in partnership with M Powered Strategies in May of 2017.
SMANA’s Annual Report covering 2017-2018.
SMANA’s Annual Report covering 2018-2019
Meet SMANA’s Board of Directors
SMANA’s officers and board of directors work to provide you with opportunities to grow as a behavior change agent. See more information about the board here.